Re: SBA grants / program income Ted Mordhorst 15 Mar 2005 18:02 EST

Hi Kim,
For the additive and deductive methods of accounting for program income, you
should expend the program income prior to requesting federal funds.

In the second part of your question, you of course are referring to the cost
sharing method to account for program income.  When authorized to use
program income as cost share or match, the situation is a bit different.  If
there is a percentage match requirement you may be required to adjust your
reimbursement requests to maintain the required percentage of support.  For
example, if the project requires a 25% match  then you would adjust your
reimbursement to no more than 75% of total project costs (award expenditures
+ match expenditures).  So, take award expenditures of $50,000 and match
expenditures of $5,000 equals $55,000 total project costs.  Your
reimbursement request would be 75% of $55,000 or $41,250.  If at your next
billing cycle the award expenditures were $65,000 and the match was $25,000,
your reimbursement request would be for 75% of $90,000 or $67,500.
Maintaining this process means that you do account for program income in
your reimbursement process but you are accounting for it in the context of
cost sharing.

Ted

Ted Mordhorst
Assistant Director for Compliance