Re: Grants.gov soon to become MANDATORY? Robert Beattie 10 Mar 2005 14:58 EST

All good points Tom, thanks.

I wonder when Jean Feldman says "FastLane... around for another year at
least" does she mean as a grants submission system or in any form.  The
current mandate for Grants.gov is only for grants submission so
agencies will need to keep their current systems for all the other
functions.

Bob
xxxxxx@umich.edu

On Mar 10, 2005, at 1:07 PM, Tom Drinane wrote:

I think Bob gave some excellent answers, but I think there are a few
points that need to be emphasized.

 * NIH has announced its commitment to accept applications through
 Grants.gov.  As I understand it, you submit to G.g (in some
 version of the 424 R&R, whether that's using Pure Edge or a S2S
 route), G.g sends to NIH, and NIH then converts the information
 from NIH to a 398.  Some of us question the wisdom of this
 approach, but as I understand it, this is the plan as of now.
 * On the expected life span of FastLane & other systems.  Last Fall,
 in a presentation to our Regional NCURA group, Jean Feldman
 committed to FastLane being around for another year at least.  My
 interpretation is that we don't know how long FastLane & others
 will be around, but that the goal is that all grant activity at
 some point will travel through G.g.  In the long run, this is a
 good thing, but the transitions will be difficult.  Frankly, the
 progress on these fronts has been a lot faster than I would have
 predicted three years ago, although clearly there is still a long
 way to go.
 * Just to clarify one point.  NIH Commons was never intended to be a
 front end for grant application submission.  NIH does accept
 applications electronically, but only through some third party -
 one of the CGAP vendors Bob mentioned or G.g.  There is also the
 possibility of using a home grown S2S solution - either by sending
 e-applications directly to NIH or through G.g.

Tom Drinane
8 Douglas Ridge
Norwich, VT  05505

603-646-3008 (Office)