Re: Grants.gov soon to become MANDATORY? Tom Drinane 10 Mar 2005 13:07 EST

I think Bob gave some excellent answers, but I think there are a few
points that need to be emphasized.

 * NIH has announced its commitment to accept applications through
 Grants.gov.  As I understand it, you submit to G.g (in some
 version of the 424 R&R, whether that's using Pure Edge or a S2S
 route), G.g sends to NIH, and NIH then converts the information
 from NIH to a 398.  Some of us question the wisdom of this
 approach, but as I understand it, this is the plan as of now.
 * On the expected life span of FastLane & other systems.  Last Fall,
 in a presentation to our Regional NCURA group, Jean Feldman
 committed to FastLane being around for another year at least.  My
 interpretation is that we don't know how long FastLane & others
 will be around, but that the goal is that all grant activity at
 some point will travel through G.g.  In the long run, this is a
 good thing, but the transitions will be difficult.  Frankly, the
 progress on these fronts has been a lot faster than I would have
 predicted three years ago, although clearly there is still a long
 way to go.
 * Just to clarify one point.  NIH Commons was never intended to be a
 front end for grant application submission.  NIH does accept
 applications electronically, but only through some third party -
 one of the CGAP vendors Bob mentioned or G.g.  There is also the
 possibility of using a home grown S2S solution - either by sending
 e-applications directly to NIH or through G.g.

Tom Drinane
8 Douglas Ridge
Norwich, VT  05505

603-646-3008 (Office)