Re: Grants.gov soon to become MANDATORY? Landorf,Kenneth R. 10 Mar 2005 11:15 EST

Apparently, they are going to do a follow-up sometime in April.  Seems
there were many questions not addressed during the webcast( funny it was
scheduled to run 45 minutes and only went 30!!).  The webcast is also
available for folks who missed yesterday at 12:45 today and beyond.  Bob
Beattie has pretty much summarized the highlights, however.

Ken Landorf
UConn Health Center
Farmington, CT
860- 679-1990

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of Robert Beattie
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 11:00 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Grants.gov soon to become MANDATORY?

Strange, I just got the invitation TODAY! I noticed the dates after I
sent my message. I did listen to the talking screen and downloaded the
slides and transcript and did not learn anything except about NIH
applications.

I wanted to ask some questions.  Nobody asked any tough questions.
Why not Macs?
What's up with the system to system version?
and suggest that they explain better that individual grant seekers do
not need to register if they are at an institution with central
submission.  Only the central office needs to register.

The most important comment was that NIH is going to allow Form 424
submissions using the new 424 Research and Related form (424R&R)
starting in June of 2005.  This will present a very interesting
situation as I do not think NIH is dropping the 398.  So three ways to
get applications to NIH:  standard paper 398, electronic 398 via the
eCGAP (electronic Competing Grant Application Program), and via
Grants.gov with the 424R&R.

The G.g people say they are going into the community to talk-up the
system.  A good chance for us to promote a better interface that uses
more than just PCs.

Bob
xxxxxx@umich.edu

On Mar 10, 2005, at 10:40 AM, Charlie Hathaway wrote:

It was yesterday.  If you like listening to someone read a PowerPoint
presentation, slides not scrolling automatically, and find testimonials
convincing (like a GWB "townhall" meeting), you'd have loved it.

CH