Re: setting an F&A rate Lauren G. Oshana 02 Mar 2005 15:07 EST

On a somewhat related issue. How do you handle subcontracts to for-profits
who quote an indirect rate in their budget, but have no federally negotiated
rate agreement?   I am inclined to tell them to back it out?

Lauren G. Oshana
Associate Director
Research Services
University of Pennsylvania
P221 Franklin Bldg.
3451 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6205
215.573.6710 (ph)
215.898.9708 (fx)

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On Behalf Of
Anne Habel
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 3:32 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] setting an F&A rate

Bill:

I have discussed this issue with Bob Aaronson from the New York Office of
DHHS. DHHS will not negotiate a rate until the entity has a federal grant
directly funded to them.

We are a non-profit agency that receives funding from a federal grant but
are not directly funded. Per the regulations the agency that is directly
funded should negotiate our rate (the feds may offer assistance). In
addition, there is no requirement that we receive our full overhead rate.

Anne