Re: NSF Funding for Foreign Institutions Shepard, Andy 03 Mar 2005 12:57 EST

Barbara,

UNH has a current NSF award with a subaward to the University of New
Brunswick in Canada. In our original application we specified we were
going to sub to Professor X at New Brunswick. All dollars were U.S.

Andy

Andy Shepard			Phone: (603) 862-2436
Office of Sponsored Research	Fax: (603) 862-3564
University of New Hampshire	Email: xxxxxx@unh.edu
Durham, NH 03824-3585		http://www.unh.edu/osr/index.html

From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of Barbara Gray
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2005 4:28 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] NSF Funding for Foreign Institutions

Fellow RESADMers,

One of our faculty members would like to do collaborative research with
a Canadian institution and would like to pursue NSF funding.  He has
asked if NSF will fund a foreign organization.  I have found what
appears to be conflicting information.  From the GPG:  "NSF rarely
provides support to foreign organizations. NSF will consider proposals
for cooperative projects involving US and foreign organizations,
provided support is requested only for the US portion of the
collaborative effort."  Yet, in the section that talks about indirect
costs, the GPM it says "It is NSF policy that grantees are entitled to
reimbursement from grant funds for indirect costs (F&A) allocable to the

NSF share of allowable direct costs of a project, except grants...to
foreign grantees..."  Further, NSF has General Grant Conditions for NSF
grants made to foreign grantees.

What's your experience?   Will NSF fund a collaboration with a foreign
institution and provide funding for both parties?  If so, does one do
this through a collaborative proposal submission or as a subaward?  If
such an institutional collaboration/funding is not allowed, can NSF
funds be used to pay foreign consultants (as long as the maximum daily
rate is not exceeded)?

Thanks.
Barbara

Barbara H. Gray, Director
Office of Research & Grants Administration
College of Charleston
66 George Street
Charleston, SC  29424
Campus Location:  407-G Bell Bldg.
Office: 843.953.5673  Desk: 843.953.5885  Fax:  843.953.6577
e-mail:  xxxxxx@cofc.edu   URL: http://www.orga.cofc.edu/