Re: NIH eRA Commons and signatory authority Cataneo, Kathy 25 Feb 2005 19:08 EST

To all,

The Board of Trustees for my university has delegated to me and to our
Vice President for Research the authority to enter into contracts and
other sponsored agreements for the university.  This particular
delegation also gives us the authority to re-delegate under certain
circumstances.  Given this, I have re-delegated (within certain dollar
thresholds and sponsor types) the authority to my senior research
administration staff such that they can sign and submit proposals to
sponsors and accept awards on behalf of the university.  Please feel
free to e-mail me directly if you have specific questions.

Bests regards,

Kathy Cataneo (xxxxxx@unh.edu)
Executive Director of Sponsored Research
University of New Hampshire

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of Laurie Chamness
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2005 1:11 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] NIH eRA Commons and signatory authority

The NIH eRA Commons guideline states that the Signing Official (SO) "is
an official with authority to perform legally binding grant
administration actions."  How does your grants office interpret this,
and what is your office policy regarding who in your grants office is
allowed to electronically submit to NIH? For example, if your grants
office has several Grants Administrators, but only the Director has
formal institution signatory authority from your president, do you allow

your Grants Administrators to be the NIH eRA Commons Signing Official
(SO) or do you require your Director to submit electronically to NIH?"

Laurie

--
Laurie Chamness
Assistant Director