Re: Management Concepts/Grants Management Certificate Program Blevens, Charlene M. 25 Feb 2005 16:36 EST

Kathleen,

I've taken some Management Concepts classes in the past.  Mine were taught by an ex-state auditor.  I felt they were very informative training classes, they provided a reference book which has been a good tool and my groups were small enough to have great discussions among the group.  For a finance person's introduction to Research Administration, I would recommend it.  They also provide continuing education credits.   I didn't feel the certificate program was beneficial for me.

Hope this helps,

Charlene Blevens, CPA, MBA, CRA
Assistant Director of Cost Analysis
University of Oklahoma
xxxxxx@ou.edu

________________________________

From: Research Administration List on behalf of Hemsey, Kathleen
Sent: Fri 2/25/2005 11:02 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Management Concepts/Grants Management Certificate Program

Hi all--

A member of our Finance Dept. (who wants to learn more about Research Admin., but not as a primary career focus) has asked me if I know anything about a group called Management Concepts and their Grants Management Certificate Program (www.managementconcepts.com).  I have not heard of them and the courses are quite expensive, so I want to try to find out if this is a worthwhile endeavor for her.  If anyone has any knowledge of this group, please respond to the list or contact me directly.  For example: Who are the faculty?  Do you know anyone who has taken their courses?  Who recognizes this certification?  Their literature says they are recommended by the National Grants Management Association, with which I am also not familiar.

Thank you for any information that you can provide.

Regards, Kathleen

Kathleen J. Hemsey, MBA, CRA
Sr. Contracts & Grants Administrator
House Ear Institute