Re: setting an F&A rate Michael Fish 22 Feb 2005 14:05 EST

Bill,
NSF has a format for calculating IDC for organizations without a negotiated
rate:
http://www.nsf.gov/bfa/dias/caar/indirect.jsp
Regards,

Michael Fish
Director, Grants Development Office
California Polytechnic State University
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
(805) 756-2982
xxxxxx@calpoly.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On Behalf Of
Bill Campbell
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2005 12:01 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] setting an F&A rate

RESADMers--

I'm on the board of a non-profit that is in process of pursuing grants from
federal agencies.  We have never had an IDC or F&A rate; I think it's time
to establish one, but I don't know how to go about it.  Can anyone give me
some guidance?  I know there have been conversations about this on the list
in the past, but I can't find the thread in the archive.

I've browsed around the HHS site a little and it's very confusing.  Some NIH
sites say 'don't apply for a rate until you get a grant,' but we're looking
at other agencies.  But those other agencies refer non-profits to HHS for
F&A rates.

I know that there is now a simple algorithm small universities can use to
determine an F&A rate to propose; is there something similar for
non-profits?  Is this something the average bozo like me can do, or do we
have to hire a consultant?

Thanks and regards, Bill

--
Bill Campbell