Re :[RESADM-L] FRINGE BENEFIT COST LOAD Luc Simon 18 Feb 2005 15:13 EST

Here is an "equity" rationale...that may or may not apply directly to your
situation:

Employees who are paid on grants have negociated a collective agreement with
the University recently. They can opt in voluntarily in a benefit package.

To ensure that the Pis would not unduly influence their employee's decision
to opt in or not, it was decided that the employers charge of the benefit
package would be split among all grantees (proportional to research staff
expenditures), University wide.

Regards,

Luc Simon

Le 18/02/05 14:37, « Robert Miller » <xxxxxx@CDREWU.EDU> a écrit :

> According to my finance departments policy, employees who work less
> than 19hrs/week are not eligible for health, group/life insurance
> however, the related grant is charged a fringe benefit cost load (even
> though the employee is not eligible nor receiving the benefit).  My
> department's explanation is that the charge is assessed university
> wide based on hours worked.
>
> As you might surmise, my PI is very upset.
>
> Have any of you experienced this? Can you provide some perspective or
> regulatory rationale?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Robert Gregory Miller
> Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science
> Div. of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Molecular Science
> Administrative Director/Research Administrator
> xxxxxx@cdrewu.edu
> Office: 323.563.5961
> Fax: 323.563.5966

=========
Luc Simon

Laval University
Tel: (418) 656-2131 - ext 5301
Fax: (418) 656-5131
Email: xxxxxx@vrex.ulaval.ca

Notice of Confidentiality

This message contains information that may be confidential or privileged.
It is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee or any person entitled
to receive it.  If you received this message in error,  please inform the
author as soon as possible, do not disclose its contents and delete it from
your system.