Re: Remote PI? Bob Beattie 12 Feb 2005 17:22 EST

There are some conditions that must be met for this to work.  The
original institution appoints another person to be the PI of record at
that institution.  Then the Grant is not actually transferred.  The
original institution gives a subcontract to the new institution with
the original PI  now the PI for the subcontract.   All work done at the
original institution is the responsibility of the original institution
and  work done at the new institution is the responsibility of the new
institution, as with any sub contract.  There is still the bothersome
details of setting up the sub contract and the indirect cost to the
original institution is now lowered by the amount of the sub contract
(minus the exclusion amount).

How is this different from any sub-contract?  I do wonder about the
idea of the original PI, at the new institution, being a consultant on
the grant.  How much time is involved and is that amount available for
consulting?  Is there any institutional costs to the new place.  The
original PI cannot be a consultant on a grant for which he is a PI so
the original place appoints a new PI -- does that person then have to
put effort into the project?

Bob