Re: Grants.gov procedure with PIs - newbie question Patty Kingsmill 10 Feb 2005 15:37 EST

Terri:

We just submitted our first Grants.gov proposal and here's how it worked:

1.  PI downloads the package to his/her desktop and completes all the forms.
2.  PI then emails the package to the office or individual within your
institution that submits proposals (for example, Sponsored Programs.
These people are given the designation of "Authorized Organizational
Representatives" within Grants.gov and there can be more than one per
organization.)
3.  The AOR then uploads the package files to Grants.gov and hits the
"submit" button.  Note:  I personally have not done this but I
understand that it is important that you follow the instructions and
close your browser or the submit button is not available.
4.  Once submitted the AOR will receive a series of emails confirming
that the package was submitted, received, given a Grants.gov  tracking
number and an agency number.

For us, the process appeared to go smoothly.

If  I can help further, let me know.
Patty

Terri Hall wrote:

>We will be submitting our first Grants.gov proposal next week and input from those who've gone through the process will be invaluable. We've already registered and received credentials, etc. However, I have a couple of questions:
>
>From the documentation I've reviewed...it appears that only the organization registers, not individual PIs - correct?
>
>At application time:
>1) the PI downloads the application package and PurEdge Viewer,
>2) completes necessary forms, application
>3) when it's ready for submission, how does our office know?
>  Will we receive an email? Can the PI submit w/o institutional authority?
>
>Or does the PI email you the saved package file and you upload everything into the system?
>
>The documentation is confusing. It is unclear whether 'applicant' means the PI...or the organization.
>
>If someone could give me a quick synopsis of the procedure it would be very helpful to me and others
>who have yet to submit to Grants.gov
>Thanks,
>Terri
>

>"One can never consent to creep when one feels
>an impulse to soar." -- Helen Keller
>Terri M. Hall
>Associate Director of Sponsored Programs (eRA)
>Office of Research
>University of Notre Dame
>(574) 631-7378   Fax: (574) 631-6630

Patty Kingsmill