Re :[RESADM-L] Hiring on sponsored projects Luc Simon 09 Feb 2005 13:51 EST

Very interesting indeed. We went thru a similar discussion some time ago...

Some were of the opinion that hires on a grant are not really University
employees, and should be considered employees of the PI. Many disagreed, and
a legal battle ensued, confirming that at least in our jurisdiction (Quebec,
Canada), the University (or the hospital) has to assume all the
responsibilities of an employer.

The procedure for such hires have been negociated and are now specified in
the terms of the collective agreement (between the University and its union
of "research professionnals") that is now in place at our institution.

The parties agreed on a very flexible process, different from the process in
place for regular University hires. The PI has much of the hiring decision
in his hands, but there are basic institutional rules to follow, and all the
applicable Quebec labor laws.

Seems to work so far...

Best regards,

=========
Luc Simon

Laval University
Tel: (418) 656-2131 - ext 5301
Fax: (418) 656-5131
Email: xxxxxx@vrex.ulaval.ca

Notice of Confidentiality

This message contains information that may be confidential or privileged.
It is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee or any person entitled
to receive it.  If you received this message in error,  please inform the
author as soon as possible, do not disclose its contents and delete it from
your system.