Re: Hiring on sponsored projects Baumann, John 02 Feb 2005 12:21 EST

How interesting.  I have recently met with HR and Affirmative Action at
my institution (also a public, state institution) about this same issue
The discussion came about because a PI insisted that she had to hire
someone named in a grant application.  While her need to hire this
person was something of a straw dog, the issue itself is very important
and we wanted to come up with an institutional guideline before it
happened again.

The consensus here was that naming on a grant has no "legal" authority.
From the HR perspective, it bypasses the approved institutional hiring
procedures.  From the Affirmative Action perspective, it constitutes an
unofficial "waiver" of pre-hire AA review.

Does your HR office approve this process?  What about issues of
affirmative action review?

John

John R. Baumann, Ph.D.
Associate Vice Chancellor for Research