Re: Rush/Last Minute Proposal Policies? Dolce, Peter J 01 Feb 2005 18:43 EST

Agreed--the best we can hope for is to mitigate.  These things have been
helpful to our office:

Set "deadlines"--in quotes because no sponsored programs office that I
know of can enforce a deadline rigorously--that most PIs can recognize
as reasonable.  We ask for applications a day and a half before they
must be mailed.

About a month before major sponsor deadlines, like the NIH deadlines,
tell investigators your internal deadline by e-mail.

Time/personal relationships help.  This is an area where policies aren't
much use unless your school is actually willing to refuse to submit an
application.  But it does help to get to know the investigator and her
work, and perform services if you can, like extra help with a budget.
If you show you can improve the application in some way or make its
preparation easier for the PI you win friends and sympathy.

Analyze the situation carefully--isn't it 20% of the PIs submitting 80%
of the late applications?  That's not bad.  For those 20% there is, as
Charlie said, no hope.  We do a cursory check and let the application
go.  If it gets funded, no harm done; if it doesn't--well, let the
investigator learn in the dear school of experience.

Peter J. Dolce, Ph.D., Director
Office of Research Support Services
Meharry Medical College
1005 D. B. Todd Boulevard