Re: Title for Principal Investigators Charlie Hathaway 31 Jan 2005 14:04 EST

I agree that titles carry baggage and that leaving well enough alone is usually wise.  But why shouldn't other professionals be called "Professors"?  And I can think of few professions other than science where the act of professing claimed knowledge is so fundamental AND TRUE because the declarations originate from that individual's own discovery, i.e. genuine knowledge.
We live in an age where reading a teleprompter makes you an orator and where bleached teeth gets you points in debate.  Let epistemology rule.  PI = professor.  Teacher = lecturer.   PI+Teacher = priceless.

CH