Re: Title for Principal Investigators Dolce, Peter J 31 Jan 2005 12:53 EST

Academic titles imply the other structures and traditions that come with
academic organizations, such as tenure.  Anyone joining your
organization might reasonably expect such things to be in place; if you
don't have them you may be perceived as having academic form without
substance, existing employees may expect you to implement them a few
years down the road, etc. etc.   If your institute's principal purpose
is to conduct research, the existing titles reflect that purpose more
accurately than "professor."

In general it seems to me that one type of organization should borrow
the vocabulary of another only with great caution.  The notion that
students are "customers" instead of "students," for example, is fraught
with difficulty: the values, responsibilities and traditions that
accompany the terms are different.  Another instance I saw recently was
a seminar on how to "market" your proposal to NIH.  Your question
suggests you're thinking of just such issues: names carry baggage with
them.

A better approach is to borrow the concept but assign your own name, as
when industrial firms began establishing university-like committees on
the shop floor, but called them "quality circles."  Don't know how this
applies to your situation, so off with the amateur sociology hat and
back to work!  Good luck!

Peter J. Dolce, Ph.D., Director
Office of Research Support Services
Meharry Medical College