Re: Book Purchases Herbert B. Chermside 28 Jan 2005 14:07 EST

Note other responses which cover the general situation.

There is a special case.  The PI may need a specific reference book to use
constantly, expressly for the project.  For example, it contains a listing
of values of something, that has to be used to set up equipment, or to
analyze data.  If a book were used in this way over a period of months or
years, it would not be in condition to go into the library holdings when no
longer needed on the project.  In that case, the book would be an allowable
cost -- IF it will be used throughout the project, and the data is not
available elsewhere.  (In this electronic age, it is likely the information
can be gotten on line rather than from a book!)  If this is the case, it
would be extremely wise to have a memo to file as to the reason for its
use, in case an auditor asks!

Chuck

At 01:06 PM 1/28/2005, you wrote:
>I have an increasing number of researchers who want to purchase reference
>materials which are already located in our library.  Isn't there a
>regulation that specifically addresses this?  If not, opinions please.
>

>Renita L. Gray, CRA
>
>Director of Sponsored Programs
>
><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns =
>"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Arkansas State University
>
>P.O. Box 1260
>
>State University, AR  72467
>
>Telephone: (870) 972-2400
>
>Facsimile:  (870) 910-8209
>

>"If my life is fruitless, it doesn't matter who praises me, and if my life
>is fruitful, it doesn't matter who criticizes me"  - Bunyan

Herbert "Chuck" Chermside, CRA
Director Emeritus, VCU Sponsored Programs
Executive Director, Research Administrators Certification Council
1915 Robindale Rd.
Richmond, VA 23235-3931
804-320-5502
xxxxxx@verizon.net