Re: cost sharing with Pass Through federal dollars Jennifer Morgan 18 Jan 2005 09:49 EST

But that wasn't the question, the question is can you take an overexpenditure on a nonfederal grant and cover it with FEDERAL dollars.

"Can you use federal dollars to cover a cost share obligation for a non-federal grant?" was the question.  So far, everyone that has answered has said you can use unrestricted non-federal dollars to cover the cost share on a federal grant... which is what I've always assumed to be true.

But how can someone say that a restricted federal grant, where every dollar is supposed to be allocable to the project for which the federal dollars were funded, be used to cover a cost share commitment on a non-federal project?  That is contrary to everything I've ever read or heard about fiscal compliance.

If I have gotten this wrong, can someone tell me where it is written in the circulars that money can be used from federal grants to pay for the cost share commitment owed on a non-federal grant?

-Jennifer

Jennifer Morgan, MHA

Associate Chair for Research Administration
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science

Southern Section President
Society of Research Administrators International

Medical University of South Carolina
67 President Street, Suite 504
Charleston, South Carolina  29425

voice:  843-792-0191
fax:  843-792-0048
email:  xxxxxx@musc.edu

>>> xxxxxx@COX.NET 01/16/05 02:41PM >>>
Jennifer:

There's no reason why you can't take an overage on a Fed grant and charge it
to a non-fed grant, provided there are no restrictions on the non-fed grant.
Back in the day, we used to frequently send a proposal to a fed and non-fed
funding source.  Usually the non-fed came in with a small amount of funding,
while the fed took the lion's share.  We also used the non-fed share as cost
sharing.

You do need to take care that the non-fed share doesn't have fed funds in
it.  Dr. Chuck is right that the non-fed portion should clearly state that
there ARE fed funds included in the award - like a CFDA number or a fed
award number, or the presence of OMB or FAR citations.  Absent those, have
at it!

Greg
Currently in a thaw mode.  Calgary was -50 on Wed - Fri morning (wind
chill), -35 without wind. Brings a whole new meaning to the word "cold".