Re: cost sharing with Pass Through federal dollars Jennifer Morgan 14 Jan 2005 16:17 EST

Going back to the original question "Is it allowable to use federal grant dollars to cost share on a non-federal grant?"...

Chuck and Lois... Are you really saying that you can take FEDERAL dollars and pay the cost share for a NONFEDERAL grant?  How can this be reasonable, allowable and allocable to the federal project that is being charged for the cost share?

If this is true, I can reconcile all my deficit accounts and maybe even my checking account! (just joking - for the auditors that might be reading this!)

-Jennifer

>>> xxxxxx@VERIZON.NET 01/14/05 11:04AM >>>
Any subaward passing through federal funds should be clearly identified as
such by the prime.  If it is not, you can assume it is a procurement by the
prime, not subject to flowdown of federal regulations.

Chuck

At 05:28 PM 1/13/2005, you wrote:
>Laurie,
>
>It's always been my understanding that you can't match one federal
>project with another federal grant.  The only caution is that the
>non-federal project isn't a pass-through of federal dollars that isn't
>easily recognizable.
>
>Lois Smith,
>Associate Controller, Sponsored Programs
>The University of Akron
>330-972-6563
>xxxxxx@uakron.edu

Herbert "Chuck" Chermside, CRA
Director Emeritus, VCU Sponsored Programs
Executive Director, Research Administrators Certification Council
1915 Robindale Rd.
Richmond, VA 23235-3931
804-320-5502
xxxxxx@verizon.net