Re: Recognition programs Herbert B. Chermside 22 Nov 2004 13:18 EST

Our VP-R at VCU has had a program for three years now in which there is a
dinner for all PI's over a certain level, with an important speaker form
off campus.  The speaker, with a nationally recognized name, focuses on
something our researchers need to know more about; a recent one was COI and
another was protection of research subjects.

An additional, and very well received recognition, awarded there, is
Graduate Fellowships (varying sizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd) for the
departments with the greatest INCREASE in sponsored programs for the
year.  The measure of increase has several components, and they change
somewhat from year to year so that the same departments will not always win.

Both individual faculty members and departments are very conscious of this
recognition.  I've heard them say, "I'll be invited next year!"  And the
fellowships are very welcome, because they allow departments to recruit top
students who otherwise could not afford the programs (especially as out
of-state tuition is significantly higher).

This is supported from a small amount of F&A recovery from a $185M/year
research program.

Chuck

At 11:06 AM 11/22/2004, you wrote:
>Good Morning,
>
>We would like to do something different this year to recognize our
>research active faculty.
>
>If you have a successful recognition program at your institution would
>you be willing to share what you do?
>
>Thank you,
>
>Lori Messer, MPA, CRA
>Director
>Research & Sponsored Programs
>Wake Forest University
>P.O. Box 7528 Reynolda Station
>Winston-Salem, NC  27109
>(336) 758-5888
>(336) 758-1959 fax

Herbert "Chuck" Chermside, CRA
Director Emeritus, VCU
Executive Director, Research Administrators Certification Council
1915 Robindale Rd.
Richmond, VA 23235-3931
804-320-5502
xxxxxx@verizon.net