Re: Conflict of interest? Charlie Hathaway 19 Nov 2004 13:24 EST

As far as anti-nepotism rules go, I believe most places would require that the PI not participate in the decision of the hiring.  (Of course, this is artificial.)  Still, there could be some rule whereby the authority for the decision is administratively delegated and this act is recorded, preferably with a statement affirming the "expert in the field" argument.

Most traditional conflict of interest policies remain tied to "financial interest" of self or "family members".  Thus, if the PI had no conflict, then the wife must not have one either.

Charlie