Re: Postdocs Herbert B. Chermside 16 Nov 2004 10:05 EST

I presume "postdoctoral research associates" means actually employees as
opposed to holders of postdoctoral fellowships.  You should first look to
your normal employment practices for policy.  This would provide benefits
and leave processes.

If these employees are not covered by present policies, then you need to
create some, and your request for others' policies are a good place to
start.  Health benefits are of greatest concern to these younger employees,
and participation in a retirement plan -- preferably portable, as these
employees will probably be geographically mobile as they advance -- is
likely the next.  Because they are paid primarily from sponsored programs,
you should consider a "take it or loose it" leave program, and ensure that
supervisors do not prohibit taking leave.

It is very important to differentiate between employees -- with social
security and medicare taxes and the need to withhold income taxes --  and
holders of fellowships.  These often work side by side doing similar
activities, but the purposes of their compensation are different.  However,
you may find that it is prudent to look at the compensation packages and
try to accomplish some equitable similarity between them.

If present employer policies do not provide health insurance -- often with
the corollary that holders of fellowships cannot avail themselves of
employee health insurance -- you may want to look into having a separate
group created for them.  I wish it were possible to suggest a
multi-institutional group for this health insurance, to increase the
insured population, but that isn't likely.

Chuck