Re: Travel claims for Uzbekistan Herbert B. Chermside 11 Nov 2004 15:39 EST

This is from LONG ago.  Had the additional problem of the capital for
transactions.
There MUST be significant trust in the project director.
Got a travel advance for the estimated costs.  Had the PD deposit in a
local bank (is this available for you?)  Anything that could be paid by
check thus had a record.
Credit card might serve the same purpose -- nowadays may even more broadly
accepted!
This project included labor by illiterate indigenes.  Cash was
drawn.  Payroll was witnessed by two of the research party and workers
"made their mark" to receive cash.  Cash balance was returned to
bank.  Cash out minus cash back = payroll.
Other cash payments were witnessed, by two if possible, on handwritten
notes in lieu of receipts.

At the end, all working cash was returned to the bank.  Cash into bank
account less payments out was the total cost of the field project.  Bank
charges were allowable expense for this husbanding of institutional/sponsor
funds.

For staff personal costs it might be reasonable to pay a per diem (with or
without lodging, as circumstances warrant).  I'd suggest using the State
Department's listing of costs allowable for federal travel in foreign
locations as the standard.

This is a case of "do your best in a differing environment".  It would be
wise to get approvals of such a plan before sending the PD out into the
boonies!

My experience was that we got pretty good records -- PI's are used to
recording scientific data; I just told them that this financial data was
needed to keep them out of jail.  And then a couple of sensible people
(myself and a financial officer) made an overview and determined that
everything seemed reasonable.

Chuck