Re: pdf forms Randall Legeai 09 Nov 2004 15:39 EST

At 03:02 PM 11/9/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>If you use the print option mentioned below, you will have editable text
>that you can change, but you still will not have created blank form fields
>and a true iPDF form. This is a method to consider if you don't use the
>form too often, or there aren't too many fields to complete, and don't
>mind using text edit where you need to change data. Using text edit on a
>PDF doc that is not truly iPDF is much more onerous than having created a
>true iPDF with fields to complete that you can tab from one to the next.
>You cannot tab from one field to the next when creating a PDF doc from the
>print option and must use the mouse to click in the text area you want to
>edit or use the arrow keys to move -- unless there is some wonderful new
>gimmick in Acrobat 6 that I've missed... always a possibility!
>
>-- Evelyn
>
>At 12:23 PM 11/9/2004 -0600, Randall Legeai wrote:
>>At 12:00 PM 11/9/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>>>Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Professional and several other Adobe products will
>>>allow you to create fillable form fields in the original pdf (unless the
>>>form is locked by the creator).
>>>
>>>The only problem with this method is that in order to save the filled
>>>out document, a person must have some version of a pdf writer on their
>>>computer. The free Adobe Reader will not allow you to save the
>>>information typed into the form fields.
>>
>>Unless you select File/Print and choose "Adobe PDF" from the list of
>>printers, which will result in the filled-in document being saved as a
>>new standard pdf file.
>>
>>- Randy.

I was wrong about the above.  The "adobe PDF" printer option doesn't get
installed in Acrobat Reader, only in the full version of Acrobat.  Does
anyone know if the free CutePDF (aka Ghostscript
-  http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp) will save the
fill-in contents with the file?

- Randy.