Re: VISA FEE Smith,Lois M 03 Nov 2004 10:40 EST

Hello All,

When this came up, we made the decision that the $100 processing fee was
a part of the hiring process and it would then be eligible to charge to
the grant.  The additional "$1000" that INS charges to expedite the visa
was not an acceptable charge to the grant.  Faculty would either have to
pay it from a gift account or departmental funds.

Lois Smith,
Associate Controller, Sponsored Programs
The University of Akron
330-972-6563
xxxxxx@uakron.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of CREA CATHARINE
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 9:11 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] VISA FEE

I addressed this question to NIH Grants Policy and received this
response.

Thank you for contacting the Division of Grants Policy.

Yes, "standard visa processing fees" are considered allowable direct
costs as part of "recruiting costs" on an NIH grant, as long as your
institution has an employee/employer relationship with the student. You
should also be aware it is the responsibility of the institution to
monitor the status of the student's visa and ensure that he/she has
sufficient time to fulfill the obligations of the research they are
being paid for on the grant. These costs must be consistently treated at
your institution regardless of the source of funds so as to avoid
duplicative charges. Thank you.

Best regards,
Michelle G. Bulls
Assistant Grants Policy Officer
Division of Grants Policy
Office of Policy for Extramural Research Administration, OER, NIH, HHS
6705 Rockledge Drive, Room 3523
(301) 435-0934 direct line
(301) 435-3059 fax
E-mail: xxxxxx@nih.gov

Catharine Crea
Associate Dean for Research Administration
New York Medical College
Valhalla, New York 10595
(914) 594-4480 phone
(914) 594-4694 fax