Re: European opportunities Julia Wallace 15 Oct 2004 03:42 EST

Dear Bill,

Romania is an European Union (EU) candidate country so is eligible to
participate in the EU Framework Programme (FP).  The FP is the EU's main
instrument for research funding in Europe.  The Sixth Framework Programme
(FP6) is running from 2002-2006.  Calls for proposals under FP6 are listed
at:
http://fp6.cordis.lu/fp6/calls.cfm

A general introduction to FP6 and the funding opportunities available can be
found at:
http://www.cordis.lu/fp6/whatisfp6.htm

There are a number of different activity areas in FP6, some are particular
to specific areas of research and some are more general (e.g. the Marie
Curie researcher mobility schemes).  Of particular interest to your
scientists may be:
- The FP6 activity area "Life sciences, genomics and biotechnology for
health"
http://fp6.cordis.lu/lifescihealth/calls.cfm
- The FP6 activity area "Food quality and safety"
http://fp6.cordis.lu/fp6/calls_activity.cfm?ID_ACTIVITY=280
- The Marie Curie mobility schemes
http://europa.eu.int/comm/research/fp6/mariecurie-actions/indexhtm_en.html

The Royal Society in the UK runs a number of schemes with Romania:
- Joint Project Grants
http://www.royalsoc.ac.uk/international/jointProjects.htm
- Short visits to Romania from the UK
http://www.royalsoc.ac.uk/international/shortVisitsOut.htm
- Short visits to the UK from Romania
http://www.royalsoc.ac.uk/international/shortVisitsIn.htm

It may also be worth contacting the British Council in Romania:
http://www.britishcouncil.org/romania.htm

Kind regards,

Julia