Re: Negative Budget Amounts Aull, Robert M 24 Sep 2004 09:15 EST

For modular NIH budgets, our accounting folks have come up with a
specific object (expense) code for the amount necessary to meet a given
number of modules per year.  In certain years of a budget, that figure
could by necessity be a negative number; however, we would never show
this object code on a budget to a sponsor, it simply has the effect of
reducing the direct and calculated indirect for that budget.

In an electronic research administration budget it allows the software
to "modulate" an NIH budget automatically.

Robert Aull
Indiana University

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of Sandra Nordahl
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2004 8:57 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Negative Budget Amounts

Ravi,

We need to enter negative amounts into the software when we are revising
budgets in our software system.  I have not ever seen a negative number
in a proposal or award.  Reductions in budget at the award stage are
expressed as revised figures, not negative numbers.

Sandra M. Nordahl, Manager
Sponsored Research Administration
San Diego State University Foundation
5250 Campanile Drive