Re: Negative Budget Amounts Smith,Lois M 24 Sep 2004 09:07 EST

Ravi,

We used a negative budget line for our hard dollar matching.  This was
to offset the negative expense of the actual match contribution.  We
also increase the budget in whichever category the match is used for.
This keeps the agency budget straight, but as the grant runs on over
several years it becomes hard to separate who paid for what.  This was a
development of going to PeopleSoft three years ago.  We are in the
process of going to separate cost sharing accounts.

Hope this helps.

Lois Smith,
Associate Controller, Sponsored Programs
The University of Akron
330-972-6563
xxxxxx@uakron.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of Ravi-Shankar.Devaraj
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2004 10:12 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Negative Budget Amounts

Is there a case where one enters a negative amount in a grant proposal
budget, or, are the numbers entered in the budget always positive
numbers?  If negative amounts are entered in a grant proposal budget,
could you please give me an example of what that budget line would be?

Thank you,
Ravi Shankar
Oracle Corporation