Re: IPA Mobility Program Assignment Agreements McKinley, Brenda R 23 Sep 2004 13:04 EST

I appreciate everyone's input on this to date.  We have decided to go forward with our off-campus rate and put the ball in the federal agency's court...

Brenda

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG]On Behalf
Of Herbert B. Chermside
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2004 12:07 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] IPA Mobility Program Assignment Agreements

Hey, folks, here's the background.
The IPA is essentially a Personnel of Human Resources agreement.  "Here's
our employee on temporary assignment to you; you pay the salary and
benefits but he remains on our payroll so his advantages of job
continuation do not get lost."  It is handled as a sponsored program at
most institutions simply because that office has the skills and knowledge
to handle the contracting processes and the financial matters -- in fact it
may be the only good model for getting the $ into the institution.

As a realistic matter, there are administrative costs for handling the
transaction.  It appears appropriate to have those costs reimbursed.  DOD
has recognized this.  However, a careful reading of their memo refers to
those costs in terms that make it clear that they want to pay only the
reimbursement of the kinds of costs associated with handling the
transaction.  And they make it clear that the rate of administrative cost
reimbursement is negotiable, and should be based on what you can show
actually is your cost.

My personal opinion is that an off-campus rate, probably whatever is your
lowest off-campus rate, could be justified as covering the administrative
costs of the transaction.  But if they want to allow  you less, but still
something, take it an run.  Half a loaf is better than no bread at
all!  (Pardon the pun!)

Chuck

Chuck Chermside
804-320-5502