Re: NRSA fellowships Herbert B. Chermside 31 Aug 2004 14:08 EST

And in addition, the individual recipient
a)  pays no social security (not "wage" in IRS terms)
b)  has no withholding by the payor for income tax,
c)  may or may not have all of the income taxed -- there are expenses which
he can deduct directly from the amount of the fellowship paid in the tax
year to determine what is taxable.
 From IRS Pub. 17:
"Scholarships and fellowships. A candidate
for a degree can exclude amounts received as a qualified scholarship or
fellowship. A qualified  scholarship or fellowship is any amount you re-
ceive that is for:
• Tuition and fees to enroll at or attend an educational institution, or
• Fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for courses at the
educational institution.
Amounts used for room and board do not qualify for the exclusion."
Get IRS Publication 970 for details.

It would be a courtesy to pass this information on to the recipient!

Chuck