Re: reporting "awards" (Annual Reports) Hahn, Janet M 18 Aug 2004 09:43 EST

It depends on the purpose of your annual report.

One of the purposes of our annual reports is to announce all those who
have received awards that year.  That is why we include all new
faculty-initiated and -directed awards.  Awards made through the
Foundation, directly to the individual (fellowships), or in-kind are so
noted.

We use a cut-off date approximately 10 days prior to the end of each
fiscal year.  We have needed that time in order to have reports for the
president's annual report.  We are changing databases within SPGM and
the university is changing its underlying software, and we get a new
president within the year, so any number of changes are possible within
the next year or two.

One draw-back to reporting awards is that numbers can change drastically
depending on whether several large awards typically received around June
30 actually arrive in mid-June or mid-July.  This means that in one
year, sometimes we have two grants arrive for the same program (one
arriving in July and the next installment in June); the following year,
we might not report any.

Reports based on expenditures are more consistent as the expenditures
continue more evenly.  Even though are annual report uses awards, we do
need to use expenditures. NSF and state council reports require info on
expenditures.

Janet M. Hahn, C.R.A
Exec Dir, Sponsored Programss & Grants Management
Radford University
tel:  540-831-5479
Radford, VA  24142-6926
fax: 540-831-6636