Re: reporting "awards" Aull, Robert M 18 Aug 2004 08:37 EST

At the Indiana University School of Medicine, we report awards
internally and also make manual adjustments for large multi-year awards
"booked" to a single fiscal year (e.g. a contract award) in order not to
skew the comparison year to year.

We do not do this for clinical trials but instead presume the continuous
booking of the total amount for multi-year trials will "even out" over
the long run.

Admittedly, award totals include funding for which an institution may
not realize the benefit, such as un-recruited patients or subcontracts,
yet they remain a common measure of growth and the basis for such
venerable tallies as the NIH ranking tables.

Robert Aull
Indiana University

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of Jessica T. Kleinberg
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 8:03 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] reporting "awards"

We report on annual awards for internal purposes as well.  We include
funding that is "booked" to our business system within the fiscal year.
Occasionally we have to do manual adjustments.  For example, if two
non-competing awards are included in the same fiscal year (one was
received
late and the other was received early) then we remove one to be included
in
the next year.  This system has worked very well for us.

Jessica Kleinberg, CRA
Asst. Director, Sponsored Programs
Health Research, Inc.
One University Place