Re: indirect costs Hawk, Patricia 12 Aug 2004 10:08 EST

Good morning Susan,

In every institution where I've worked, I've found this information in
the F&A rate agreement (typically included in paragraph where you find
the definition of off-campus).  Now, some of the descriptions I've seen
are been than others, so your institution may have to further define it.
From the way you've described it, your agreement may say that an entire
project is either all on-campus or all off-campus.  The important thing
is that your institution applies the distinction on a consistent basis.

Pat

Patricia A. Hawk
Cost Analyst, Business Affairs
Oregon State University
306 Kerr Administration Building
Corvallis, OR  97331
(phone) 541-737-9585
(fax) 541-737-2069

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of Susan Anderson Rivaleau
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 3:03 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] indirect costs

Hello, all,

We are preparing a three-year NSF proposal that involves archeological
work overseas.  The PI will spend the bulk of his time on the grant
off-campus at the "dig,"  (particularly in Years 2 and 3).  The PI
calculated the budget using our on-campus indirect rate applied to the
portion related to the work that will be conducted on campus, and our
off-campus rate applied to the rest.  We do not split indirect rates
within a budget year or over a multi-year project, but are curious how
other institutions might handle something like this.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts or observations,
Susan Anderson

--
Susan Anderson

Assistant Director
Office of Research & Grants Administration
66 George Street
Charleston, South Carolina 29424
843-953-4973 (voice)
843-953-6577 (fax)