Re: indirect costs Reuter, Tim (reuterte) 12 Aug 2004 08:32 EST

Check your rate agreement for the definition of Off-campus.  Mine states
"Grants or contracts will not be subject to more than one F&A cost rate",
and "If more than 50% of a project is performed off-campus, the off-campus
rate will apply to the entire project".

-----Original Message-----
From: Susan Anderson Rivaleau [mailto:xxxxxx@COFC.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 6:03 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] indirect costs

Hello, all,

We are preparing a three-year NSF proposal that involves archeological work
overseas.  The PI will spend the bulk of his time on the grant off-campus at
the "dig,"  (particularly in Years 2 and 3).  The PI calculated the budget
using our on-campus indirect rate applied to the portion related to the work
that will be conducted on campus, and our off-campus rate applied to the
rest.  We do not split indirect rates within a budget year or over a
multi-year project, but are curious how other institutions might handle
something like this.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts or observations, Susan Anderson

--
Susan Anderson

Assistant Director
Office of Research & Grants Administration
66 George Street
Charleston, South Carolina 29424
843-953-4973 (voice)
843-953-6577 (fax)