Re: Spreadsheets Dwight Davis 26 Jul 2004 10:58 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On Behalf Of
Herbert B. Chermside
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 7:39 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Spreadsheets

Several of you have requested VCU's budget spreadsheets.  They are on the
web.

Go to
http://www.research.vcu.edu/ospa_budgpkg.htm#worksheets
for the descriptive discussion, and download the spreadsheets.

Suggest you should use the "flex" budgets and the "loaded" budget.

The flex budgets allow you to insert your own benefits and F&A rates,
whereas the "current rate" budgets have VCU's on campus research rates
"locked" in place.  VCU has a single pooled benefits rate for all salaried
sponsored programs personnel, and another single pooled rate for hourly
sponsored programs personnel.  Our 9-month faculty are on the pooled
benefits rate for the 9 months, and summer is paid as hourly payroll.

The neat feature of the modular budget spreadsheet is that it keeps a
running average of the total period's annual cost in the upper right.  It
does NOT calculate for additional modules; as they are almost always for
equipment, there would be $0 F&A for the module, so adding the module is a
no-brainer.

The "Loaded" spread sheets calculate the total cost of each item "loaded"
with benefits and F&A, and the SECOND page shows total costs by category:
personnel, supplies, etc., and nerver show the detailed first page.  We use
it for our industrial sponsors and others who do not insist on great detail.
This gives the reviewer no separation of F&A, thus obviating any discussions
about the F&A cost.  As you all know, F&A calculated under A-21 is
significantly different from any loading that industries use in their
budgets, and also industries typically deal with loaded costs, so this
avoids conflicts because we speak of apples and industries speak of oranges.

A really great advantage for our office is that if our faculty use these
spreadsheets, and attach a copy (as an internal document), we do not have to
"run the numbers" on their budgets, because we know the calculations are
correct.

If you have to make changes in these spreadsheets to fit your situation, at
least here are some starting points for you.

Good luck with these.  The charge: if you improve on them, share with us
what and how you do the improvements, so we may consider using them.

Chuck
Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University
PO BOX 980568