Re: A Chance to Do That Research Administrator "Stuff" Charlie Hathaway 23 Jul 2004 08:25 EST

You don't say whether this person has been funded from other agencies or
whether he is really a first time grant seeker.  The answer might not affect my
suggestions but would certainly affect the way I presented them to him.

Get other readers for the "draft":
1- from his specialty
2- from his general discipline but outside his specialty
3- from off the street...literate and objective but scientifically naive people
can provide GREAT advice.

Make sure he has not ASSUMED too much.  The reviewers may not appreciate the
significance of his work, understand that he knows how to do it, etc.  If
something is important, repeat it.

Don't let him forget to address, in a substantive way, in that summary piece,
the stuff about benefit to society and educational impact that NSF requires.
Many scientists view this as fluff...or worse.  They must not.

If you meet resistance, or run out of time (a month in August is not a month),
make the project summary and statement of objectives perfect.  They should sing!

good luck

CH