Re: F&A Rates for Non-Clinical Corporate Sponsors Herbert B. Chermside 21 Jul 2004 14:32 EST

This is a very common solution.  Drug companies look at the digits in front
of the % sign, and don't consider the base.  But you don't want to use the
MTDC base, anyway, because "patient care" there is an accountant's
definition (certain costs already loaded with indirect) rather than any
health care provider's definition.  For that matter, your researcher
probably doesn't understand that, either, and thinks using MTDC would
really exclude most of the costs from the base, and so reduce his cost.

Our Director of Industry Partnerships had done a recent survey, and found
only two institutions using MTDC.  Most are getting 25 to 29% TDC.

Chuck

At 03:00 PM 7/21/2004, you wrote:
>Our F&A Rates for clinical trials is a separate rate than that of
>non-clinical research sponsored by corporate sponsors.  For example, a
>clinical trial sponsored by Jansen is 25% TDC, but a non-clinical project
>is the full federal rate of 46%.
>
>Is this the practice at your institution?  I'm just trying to get a feel
>for how common this is.  I have a researcher that's pretty disgusted about
>our policy and I was curious if it's common or standard.  It's the first
>time I've run into it.
>
>-Jennifer
>
>Jennifer Morgan, MHA
>
>Vice Chair for Research Administration
>Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science
>
>Southern Section President
>Society of Research Administrators International
>
>Medical University of South Carolina
>67 President Street, Suite 504
>Charleston, South Carolina  29425
>
>voice:  843-792-0191