Re: Augmented Salaries Michael Fish 20 Jul 2004 18:45 EST

Deborah,
The California State University  system's additional employment policy
is attached:
http://www.calstate.edu/HRAdm/pdf2002/HR2002-05.pdf
Michael

 -----Original Message-----
From: Hofer [mailto:xxxxxx@SOU.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2004 9:15 AM
To: RESADM-L
Cc: Hofer
Subject: [RESADM-L] Augmented Salaries

Dear Colleagues,
Apologies if this is a duplicate posting. We have installed new spam
software and I am concerned that I am not receiving listserve messages.
Here is the original message. If someone would please respond even if
it is just to confirm receipt, I would be very grateful.

I ask your help in answering a question from my provost. We are in a
situation where faculty are seeking to augment their salaries using
grant funds, over and above their annual compensation level. The
request is 'justified' by the assertion that activities supported by
the grant exceed those contained in their job descriptions. There is no
request for released time.
Do you have institutional policies in place that prohibit or cap the
amount salaries can be increased? Would they vary depending on whether
the faculty was on a 9 month or 12 month full time appointment? And
finally (though I am afraid to ask), what are the pitfalls inherent in
this? Please note these are funds from private foundations.
As always, many thanks.
Deborah

Deborah d'Este Hofer MM
Grants/Human Subjects Administrator
Vice President's Office for Academic Affairs
Southern Oregon University
541.552.8662
xxxxxx@sou.edu