Re: State of Indiana Dept of Revenue "tax payer" registration Herbert B. Chermside 20 Jul 2004 14:26 EST

I have had this experience with other states.  We, too, are an
instrumentality of state government.  I've contacted the state tax offices
and worked out how to register or otherwise get on their "do business with"
list and yet to be flagged ad not being taxable and not having to submit
reports.  Different states handle it differently.

Chuck

At 03:12 PM 7/20/2004, you wrote:
>Do any of the Indiana resadm-l'ers know if there is any way to avoid having
>to register with the Indiana Dept of Revenue to do subawards to and from
>Indiana state universities?
>
>UT Austin just received a letter from the Indiana revenue folks informing us
>that we need to register with them and we will be "...required to file
>periodic sales tax returns even when you have no applicable sales subject to
>Indiana sales and use tax".  I suspect this notice is related to a subaward
>made to an Indiana state university but I do not know for certain.
>
>We really do not want to have to register and file tax returns to do
>subawards since we are a state funded institution that is exempt from sales
>tax.
>
>Any information/assistance would be much appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Rochelle R. Athey
>Associate Director, Sponsored Projects
>PO Box 7726