Re: A-21 Aull, Robert M 20 Jul 2004 11:26 EST

To add to Pat's tricky point, the NIH modular format relies on such
"residuals"--an even number of modules ignores budget variation and
inflation, a situation offset by automatic carry forward authority.
When the indirect cost "steps" ascend the PI's residual direct costs
take a hit; when they descend the residual indirect costs pay a dividend
to the PI.

Hoping your institutional rates ascend,

Robert Aull
Indiana University

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of Hawk, Patricia
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 10:22 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] A-21

My take on this is that if you have a negotiated F&A rate agreement that
stipulates those "step" increases by year, then you use those increases
in each year of your budget.  If you are preparing a budget that takes
you into the "provisional" period, then you use the rate of the last
predetermined year.  As an example, our rate is currently provisional
after 7/1/06 because our rate agreement only gives us predetermined
rates through 6/30/06.

Now, the one thing that hasn't been mentioned (yet) is how this plays
out in an award where you don't spend all of "year 1" money and the
higher rate goes into effect for year 2.  This can get tricky, but
hopefully your PIs do an excellent job of forecasting and there's very
little "residual" from year to year.

Pat

Patricia A. Hawk
Cost Analyst, Business Affairs