Re: [spam?][RESADM-L] Clinical Trials & IDC Rates? Herbert B. Chermside 09 Jul 2004 10:35 EST

This doesn't answer your questions, but may provide a useful perspective.

Broadly speaking, many clinical trials expect a rate with a number around
25 preceding the % sign.  But many universities use TDC as the base for
applying it.  Industry is not comfortable or understanding of the MTDC
base; in particular the exclusion of "patient care" from the base is
confusing to every one because the true meaning is not activities that a
health care professional might consider care of patients, but instead is an
artificial measure of costs that already have an indirect built into their
cost.

You are interested in "true cost" rates.  Consider, with the data you get,
how close 25 or 30% TDC equates to whatever your federal rate
is.  Remember, very few people actually look beyond the digits in front of
the % and ask what base that rate applies to!

Chuck

At 07:18 PM 7/8/2004, you wrote:
>We are interested in obtaining and sharing information on indirect cost
>rates as applied to industry sponsored clinical trials, at both
>university-based and independent academic medical centers.
>
>As the regulatory burden and labor intensity of clinical trials increase
>"covering costs" continues to be a losing battle.  Sponsors also seem to more
>frequently be pushing back on indirect rates over 25%.
>
>We aren't really trying to do a survey, but more seeking comments/advice re:
>
>1.  How you set rates, particularly if above the "norm" of 25% - also is
>it a typical MTDC rate or otherwise?
>
>2.  If you use a federal IDC rate, and how it may differ from your rate
>for lab-based research.
>
>3.  What components of the typical clinical trial budget does the rate
>cover (i.e. does it apply to already burdened hospital ancillary services
>prices, etc.).
>
>4.  What has been your experience with Pharma if your rate exceeds the 25%
>"norm".
>
>5.  Are your MDs employees, or independent contractors (as ours are).
>
>Off-line replies, or via listserve would all be greatly appreciated.
>
>         Thanks,  David
>--
>Mr. David R. Fielder                    tel: 415.600.1600
>Vice President Research         fax: 415.600.1753
>Research Institute                 email: xxxxxx@cooper.cpmc.org
>California Pacific Medical Center  website: http://www.cpmc.org
>2200 Webster Street,  Suite 514
>San Francisco, CA 94115