Re: RFP that has Department of Labor Wage Determination Youngers, Jane A 08 Jul 2004 16:20 EST

From my experience, once you get a wage determination with an RFP that
is covered by the Service Contract Act you are required to provide
employees working on the contract with equivalent pay and benefits.
This includes vacation and sick leave packages.  Most often,
universities have a tough time meeting these standards.  I'm not clear
that an argument that wages are lower in this area would mean much since
it is being nationally competed and there is the prospect that federal
employees could have done this work in a location that is not
necessarily lower paying.  Bottom line--I think you have to comply but
you may wish to consult counsel.  I am aware of one institution that,
years ago, got into very, very hot water on this issue.

FYI, all RFP's that contain provisions of the Service Contract Act don't
necessarily have wage determinations as this one does.  My take is that
when I get an RFP with the Service Contract Act, I call the agency to
inquire as to whether or not there will be a wage determination.  If
not, I don't worry about it.  If yes--well, I'd be going through the
same issues that David is right now.

Good luck.

Jane
Jane A. Youngers