Re: RFP that has Department of Labor Wage Determination Susan Anderson Rivaleau 08 Jul 2004 08:42 EST

I hope this is helpful -- Here's the link to FAQs from the US Department
of Labor on Service Contract Act wage determinations:
http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/web/SCA_FAQ.htm

 From previous experience working with obtaining prevailing wage
determinations for alien workers, I know that state employment security
offices (in Texas, that would be the Texas Workforce Commission) accept
requests for prevailing wage determinations (which are based on DOL/BLS
data at the local level) and issue them quickly.  Here's the link for
TWC's alien labor certification prevailing wage request page:
http://www.twc.state.tx.us/svcs/alc/prevail.html  (even though you're
not looking for a wage for an alien worker, the state agency may process
a request for you and you may receive it more quickly than by going
through DOL directly ...)

best regards,
Susan Anderson

David Hollingsworth wrote:

>Need guidance on the following:  We are working on a Federal RFP that is
>subject to the service contract act.  This requires contractors to pay
>service employees no less than prevailing wage and fringe benefits found
>in the geographic area where work will be performed.  The RFP includes a
>DOL wage determination which lists various job titles and their wages.
>In this RFP we are given job titles and we have to proposed equivalent
>job titles and are required to provide hourly labor rates for the
>costing evaluation.  There is a costing form where we list our
>non-exempt titles and rate and list the equivalnet DOL titles and rates.
>In the example given the contractor rate are equal or higher than the
>DOL rates.
>
>Question(s):  What to do if the labor rates for our university titles
>are less than the DOL wage determination?  Will showing them as lower
>raise a red flag?
>Are state universities exempt from this clause?  From my review it I
>think this does apply to state universities as it would to any other
>contractor.  If you know otherwise please let me know.
>The DOL wage determination included in the RFP coverd a major
>metropolitian area and our university is located about 100 miles away in
>a more rural area.  Would it be appropriate to list lower wages than the
>DOL one and if valid use the argument that wages are indeed lower in
>this area?
>
>Or would the safe bet be to find our labor titles (with a higher level
>of education or experience)  that would not be lower than the DOL
>determined wages.
>
>Of course this is due in the nest few days.

Susan Anderson Rivaleau
Assistant Director
Office of Research & Grants Administration
66 George Street
Charleston, South Carolina 29424
843-953-4973 (voice)
843-953-6577 (fax)