Re: Gifts vs Non-Federal Grants Accounting Herbert B. Chermside 06 Jul 2004 09:09 EST

There have been several good answers posted.  Another point to consider is
that the institutional financial statements are flawed if sponsored
programs are reported as gifts.  Treating any type of sponsored program
internally in the same fashion, or by the same offices, as gifts can lead
to this sort of mis-reporting unless great care is taken to separate them.

NACUBO has for some years made a point of differentiating sponsored
programs from gifts by categorizing the former as "exchange transactions"
and the latter as "contributions".  Some good guides/illustrations on their
web site are
http://www.nacubo.org/x1828.xml
http://www.nacubo.org/x1796.xml
http://www.nacubo.org/x1770.xml
http://www.nacubo.org/x873.xml
http://www.nacubo.org/x1745.xml

And while you are at it, read
http://www.nacubo.org/x1714.xml
on "pass through grants", and note that this treatment is based on
assumptions different from those involved in subawards under sponsored
programs, which we often carelessly call "pass through" whether incoming or
outgoing.

Chuck

At 04:42 PM 7/1/2004, you wrote:
>I prefer to run all funded projects through the grants office system and
>accounting - My experience has been that the development offices do not
>have the oversight support needed for projects as opposed to gifts of
>capital etc.
>
>Susan W. Meslang
>Director of Grants and Sponsored  Programs
>Tidewater Community College
>121 College Place
>Norfolk, Virginia  23510-1907
>Office 757 822-1773
>Cell 757 409-2887
>Fax 757 822-1007
>xxxxxx@tcc.edu

>How many of you categorize non-federal grants as gifts in your
>accounting system.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bill

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA