Re: base salary question Dolce, Peter J 02 Jul 2004 11:56 EST

We do the same.  The PI's rationale for segregating administrative responsibilites from base salary (in the single case I've encountered here) is that the sponsor specified the maximum size of the award; the PI wanted to use the portion of his compensation excluded from base salary for supplies and other categories.

The scenario for the second part of your questions sounds like this: someone is being asked to direct a large project that will impose administrative tasks he or she does not now perform; it's being proposed that if the grant is awarded the person's salary will be increased in compensation for these new tasks.  That's a no-no: you can't increase base salary purely on the basis of getting the award.  The solution is to decrease the person's commitments to other projects.

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG]On Behalf
Of Jennifer Morgan
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2004 11:24 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] base salary question

NIH defines institutional base salary as "the annual compensation paid by an organization for an employee's appointment, whether that individual's time is spent on research, teaching, patient care, or other activities." It only excludes "any income that an individual is permitted to earn ourside of duties for the applicant/grantee organization."  So if it's work done for the institution, it's a part of the 100% professional effort at the institution.

Here, we handle it as salary for work done... 100% is 100% is 100% of institutional effort.  It creates problems sometimes in putting someone over the NIH cap, but I don't see how we can get around the fact that if someone is paid a supplement, it's still compensation for work done at the institution and the supplement is for the level of responsibility, rather than an increase of what 100% of total professional effort can be.  100% is all there is. (Except when it comes to the VA, of course, which is income earned outside of the applicant organization.)

Dashed this off quick, hope it makes sense.
-Jennifer

Jennifer Morgan, MHA

Vice Chair for Research Administration
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science

Southern Section President
Society of Research Administrators International

Medical University of South Carolina
67 President Street, Suite 504
Charleston, South Carolina  29425

voice:  843-792-0191
fax:  843-792-0048
email:  xxxxxx@musc.edu

>>> xxxxxx@LIU.EDU 07/02/04 10:35AM >>>
We do not consider the "extra" pay as part of the individual's base
salary.  When the administrative assignment ends, the salary reverts
back to the base salary level.  We have found that the easiest way to
talk about this with faculty, and even within the administration, is to
look at what would happen if the individual no longer carried out the
duties for which they receive the extra pay.  If the answer is that the
salary will change by reverting to some other level, then the extra pay
is definitely not part of the base salary.

I am not sure I understand the second part of your question but that may
be because we only authorize extra pay for administrative duties or for
teaching an overload.  Extra duties have not been identified with
research or scholarly activities.

Kathryn Rockett
Assistant Vice President for Sponsored Research