Re: Salary Survey Bill Campbell 01 Jul 2004 13:54 EST

I think this is a great idea.  I suggest adding one further category
matched to salary level: something like years of experience, though I'm not
sure that's the right wording.  On the face of it, a new director with 5
yrs total experience should make much less than a grizzled veteran director
with similar responsibilities at the same kind of place; the survey should
enable a user to distinguish the two.

Regards, Bill

At 11:35 AM 7/1/2004, you wrote:
>Good Afternoon,
>
>So many people have contacted me as a result of my request for salary
>information that I think we as a list serve should do an informal survey
>every year and share the results via a posting on the NCURA and SRA
>websites.  It would be "unofficial" but very useful, I think, especially
>if we put our collective heads together in designing it.  I suggest
>using something like Survey Monkey.  It could be anonymous if people
>preferred.
>
>Following is the list of things that I would like to know:
>
># of students
># of faculty
>$$$ in research funding
>Medical school or not
>Region of the country (west coast, west, mid-west, southwest, etc.)
>Urban, suburban, or small college town.
>Organizational Structure
>     Pre and post separate or combined
>     reporting lines
># FTE professional in pre and post or combined
># FTE support staff in pre and post or combined
># FTE professional departmental administrators
>Title/level for reporting structure
>     for example:  Vice provost for research, director, assistant
>director,              research administrator, support staff
>Salary range for each title/level
>     I think this should be the hiring range if the position would be
>vacated
>     or maybe both: hiring range and level of current occupant
>
>What do you think?   (or have I had too much sun?)
>
>Ruth Tallman
>Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
>Lehigh University
>526 Brodhead Avenue
>Bethlehem, PA  18015
>Phone:   (610)758-3024