Re: Boilerplate Descriptions for Proposal Preparation Herbert B. Chermside 01 Jul 2004 09:32 EST

To repeat:  the proposal is an institutional document, and use of the
institution's standard boilerplate in the area of facilities is absolutely
appropriate.

Chuck

At 10:12 AM 7/1/2004, you wrote:
>Good Morning:  For insight into NSF's view of the issue of whether or not
>inclusion of "boilerplate" constitutes plagiarism, I refer you to the
>September 2002 NSF OIG Seminnual report
>(http://www.nsf.gov/pubsys/ods/getpub.cfm?oigseptember2002) - pp 42-43 under
>"Verbatim Use of Project Management Text from Others' Proposals."
>
>"........., the question of the appropriate use of common (boilerplate) text
>has come to our attention before.  In three other cases (SA citations) the
>PIs did not have permission for their extensive unattributed use of text
>authored by others.  In each of these cases, NSF concluded that the PIs
>committed research misconduct. NSF debarred two and imposed certification
>and assurance requirements on the third.  In resolving these cases we
>learned that either the institution or the original authors had a practice
>of sharing these sections with other PIs at their own, or other
>institutions.  This practice raises issues, such as when, if ever, is it
>appropriate for PIs to use these types of materials without citation; what
>role should grantees play in overseeing the management sections of
>proposals; and what, if anything, should NSF do to change the expectations
>in the project management section of these types of proposals.
>Institutional or departmental policies that articulate acceptable practices
>for using and sharing "boilerplate" text would ensure that authors
>understand the authorized uses of boilerplate text they authored and may
>therefore reduce the number of allegations."
>
>This reinforces the message that it is always a good idea to cite and quote
>text used verbatim that was written by others.  Terry-
>Terry A. May, Ph.D.
>Director of Research Development
>524 S. Kedzie
>Michigan State University
>East Lansing, MI  48824-1032
>  xxxxxx@msu.edu
>  517/432-7140 Office/voice mail [Main Number 353-1768]
>           432-9555 Fax

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Special Asst. to VP-Research
Virginia Commonwealth University