Re: Boilerplate Descriptions for Proposal Preparation Herbert B. Chermside 01 Jul 2004 07:51 EST

I disagree.  The proposal is an institutional document, though with a large
component of personally created writing.  An institutionally
created/sanctioned section regarding resources is a proper inclusion.  It
has the advantage of correct and timely information, actually reducing the
possibility of error.  For example, the holdings of the library would be
updated from the library's annual report.

I would recommend that such boilerplate be built in segments, from which
the proposal writer includes those germane to the proposal.

Chuck

At 04:38 PM 6/30/2004, you wrote:
>Given that plagiarism in a proposal qualifies as scientific misconduct,
>I am uncomfortable with any boilerplate.  Better to provide the
>institutional information in a format that writers can easily use and
>let them craft the language.  Perhaps this was not the intent of the
>misconduct regulation, but I feel a strict interpretation of the rule
>does not allow for boilerplate without quotation marks. I would value
>comments from colleagues on this opinion.
>
>Gary M. Talarchek, Ph.D.
>Director of Grants and Research
>Loyola University New Orleans
>6363 St. Charles Avenue