Re: Boilerplate Descriptions for Proposal Preparation Bill Campbell 30 Jun 2004 16:22 EST

RESADMers--

I don't believe in boilerplate either, but for a different reason.  A grant
proposal is an argument, and I want to make sure that every piece of the
argument contributes to the eventual conclusion: give us the money.  So I
like to write those background, general information sections so that they
contribute to the upcoming need statement or solution section, even if
subtly.  E.g. in a proposal that requests funds for services to
disadvantaged students, my background sections will emphasize how my
institution draws from and serves diverse populations.  But in a proposal
designed to provide undergrad research opportunities for high-powered STEM
students, by background statement will emphasize the high-quality freshmen
we are recruiting in the sciences.

Regards, Bill

At 04:06 PM 6/30/2004, you wrote:
>Plagiarism is usually defined as use without citation or permission. If
>an institution chose to prepare a set of approved facility descriptions
>(perhaps to reduce duplication of effort, avoid errors, or risking
>'false claims' in proposal submissions), I am not sure how this would be
>plagiarism. I think funding agencies are more concerned that the
>hypothesis, aims, proposed methodologies and supporting data are
>original or properly cited than whether the description of the animal
>facility had been 'wordsmithed'.
>
>Bruce Steinert, PhD, CCRA
>Director, Clinical Trials Administration
>The Children's Mercy Hospital
>Kansas City, MO

Bill Campbell
Director, Grants & Research